Designed to increase functional and social skills development.
Socialization Training offers a safe, highly structured program with a low student-to-teacher ratio (3:1), for school-aged individuals with a developmental disability, which allows for functional and social skills development. A community integration component is incorporated into programming so that skills can be generalized into natural environments. Each day offers activities giving students the opportunity to:
- Increase independence
- Improve social awareness
- Reduce social isolation
- Build friendships and relationships
- Increase prosocial behavior
Skills are targeted and practiced through a variety of settings and activities including:
- Socialization and peer interaction
- Adapted physical education and motor skills
- Communication skills
- Community outings and activities
- Picture Exchange Communication System, sensory and behavior supports as needed
Through increased social interactions both onsite and in the community and individualized, developmental supports, students can potentially gain enough skills to transition into more integrated settings within the community.
The year-round Socialization Training program runs concurrently with the Palo Alto Unified School District’s school calendar and is offered as follows:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 2:30 – 5:00pm
- Wednesday from 1:30 – 5:00pm
- Extended hours during school breaks and summer
- Summer camp opportunities in summer months
3864 Middlefield Road
Palo Alto, CA 94306
Summer Camps: fun, friends, and new experiences.
Abilities United offers two summer camps for children and young adults.