One swim stroke at a time...
over 50 years of helping children and adults with disabilities
Abilities United Aquathon is a swim relay where each team swims laps
- Laps are 30-minutes
- A lap consists of 25 yards
- Laps will be counted for each team
- Teams consist of 6 to 8 swimmers.
- Each swimmer will receive an Aquathon commemorative gift.
Swimming for all
- You may switch swimmers after a 25-yard lap or after two 25-yard laps.
- Swimmers should swim in the same order throughout the race. If someone drops out, the order is simply shortened by a person.
- All swim strokes are allowed.
- A lap is completed when the swimmer touches the wall with one hand. That is the signal for the next swimmer to begin.
- The number of laps completed will be marked off at the end of each heat, and partial quarter lengths will be added to the total.
- Teammates may assist swimmers to climb out of the pool.
- Running starts are not allowed.
- Diving starts are not allowed.
Heats and lanes
- Heat and lane assignments are made a few days before the Aquathon and are posted at the event.
- Lane numbers are posted on lap counters’ chairs.
- Each team must check-in with their lap counter at 10 minutes before the starting time for their heat.