One swim stroke at a time...
over 50 years of helping children and adults with disabilities
Why should I support Abilities United?
Founded in 1963 by 12 families whose children had intellectual disabilities, Abilities United (formerly C.A.R, Community Association for Rehabilitation), a not-for profit 501(c)3 organization, now serves a diverse group of individuals in the San Francisco Bay Area, who have developmental (autism, cerebral palsy, Down Syndrome, and intellectual disability) and physical disabilities or are at risk of developmental delay. Abilities United offers people of all ages and abilities educational, therapeutic, recreational, and vocational experiences to help them lead meaningful lives and resource connections that make it easier for them to lead the lives they choose.
What is the Aquathon?
- Launched in 1978, the Abilities United Aquathon is a fundraising event where people come together to swim to raise awareness of Abilities United services for children and adults with developmental disabilities.
- It is a great team-building and family event.
- It’s a fun day when everyone can make a difference in lives of people with developmental disabilities.
- Participation medals are given to all attendees.
- Over 200 people attend each year. Come see for yourself why people return year-after-year!
What is involved in being a team captain?
- Follow the guidelines established in the team captain essentials.
- Register to swim and form your team.
- After you register the team, recruit 6-8 people to join your team and help them register.
- Forward event information to them as needed.
- Coordinate your team’s heat time and attendance at the event.
What are the options for joining or promoting this event?
- Form a team and encourage friends, family, and co-workers to join.
- Ask people you know to form a team.
- Join an existing team if you can’t form your own team.
How do I join an existing team?
- Go to Find a swimmer or team to enter the name of the swimmer or team you wish to join.
- Click on the “Join” button and follow the registration instructions.
If you would like to swim, but do not have a team to join, contact email@example.com or (650) 618-3311, and we will place you on a team that needs a swimmer.