Respite Services provide highly trained home companions for people caring for a family member with a developmental disability. Our companions work in private homes and in varied community settings throughout Santa Clara and San Mateo counties.
Respite can be the difference between your family staying together as a healthy and functioning unit, or breaking apart and turning to institutional care, often outside of the community. Respite can be an important support for your family and gives you the flexibility to respond to family emergencies. In addition, you will enjoy the peace of mind associated with quality in-home care as you use our services to maintain balance in your lives. We give you the freedom to take some time to sit down to a quiet dinner or indulge in a vacation.
Our compassionate home companions give respite to parents and other primary care givers of people of all ages with developmental disabilities.
You have specific concerns and needs for care and our respite services are tailored to provide the services you and your family member needs. Typically, Abilities United’s respite care includes feeding, toileting, bathing, dressing, companionship on outings (with and without the family), and assisting with independent living skills, as well as other tasks related to your son or daughter’s individual education plan (IEP) or service plan. Abilities United’s approach to respite is:
- Family Centered: We aim to strengthen and work seamlessly with your family, and we encourage our home companions to participate in community activities with your child and your family.
- Creative and Inclusive: We support and inspire our home companions to engage in a wide range of activities with your child such as swimming at the community pool or joining a peer recreation group.
- Culturally Sensitive: We honor your customs and try to accommodate your primary language by matching you with a compatible home companion.
- Highly Professional: We adhere to a rigorous training regimen, which includes 30 hours of First Aid and CPR classroom work. We also check references, fingerprint, and obtain DMV records on all our companions. A strict code of conduct is enforced and we regularly monitor client satisfaction.
Abilities United is one of the few services in the area that provides extensive training for its home companions, a crucial component for providing quality services for your family. Abilities United has been providing services to families throughout the Bay Area for over 25 years. Companions assist with appropriate medical referrals but are not trained to meet many medical needs.
Abilities United staff is:
- Culturally sensitive to honor your customs and traditions
- CPR and First Aid certified
- Fingerprinted and background checked (DMV records)