make a gift
Abilities United relies on the support of community members to deliver high quality services. Please consider helping children and adults with developmental and physical disabilities by contributing to Abilities United.
Eighty-four cents of every dollar donated to Abilities United goes directly to services for these individuals.
- $50 provides four hours of job training for an adult in the Employment Services
- $100 gives a toddler three hours of speech therapy
- $250 pays for a year’s worth of swim therapy for an individual with Cerebral Palsy
Any of your gifts can be made in honor or memory of someone special to you. We will send an acknowledgment to that person but keep the gift amount confidential. This is also a good way to give back to the community in lieu of a birthday or holiday gift.
Email Fund Development
Abilities United® is a 501(c)(3) organization. Its nonprofit status makes your donation tax-deductible.
Abilities United Federal Tax ID Number is 94 -1546643
Send a check or money order with a completed donation form to Abilities United 525 East Charleston Road, Palo Alto, CA 94306
For additional information, contact Lynda Steele, email or 650-618-3312
You will not pay capital gains tax on any appreciated securities that are transferred directly to Abilities United
If you have held your stock more than a year, your tax deduction will be based on the fair market value of the stock, not its cost basis. To make a stock gift:
1. Fill out the stock form
2. Send the completed form to your broker
3. Send us a copy via fax (650) 384-0112 or email lynda@AbilitiesUnited.org
For additional information, contact Lynda Steele, email or 650-618-3312
Donor Advised Funds
If your donor advised fund is not available in the above choices please contact them directly to transfer funds to Abilities United.
Include Abilities United in your estate planning.
With an up-to-date estate plan you first serve your family and avoid probate, court conservatorship, legal fees and taxes. You also make your health care wishes legally enforceable to spare your family confusion at a time of great stress.
The same estate plan that protects you and your family can provide a tax-deductible gift to the Abilities United Endowment Fund. With some simple planning you can:
- Leave a portion of your retirement plan to Abilities United and avoid both the income tax and estate tax that might otherwise be due
- Add a bequest to Abilities United in your will or living trust for a fixed amount, a percentage, or a specific asset
- Create a named fund to honor your family or a loved one, forever linking your name with the work of Abilities United
You can also gain immediate tax and income benefits when you arrange for a future gift to Abilities United.
- Choose a charitable gift annuity that provides fixed guaranteed payments for your life and also a current income tax deduction
- Create a charitable remainder trust that enables you to sell real estate or stock tax-free; receive both an immediate income tax deduction and income for life
Do your family a favor and request the Abilities United free estate planning kit to make sure your estate plan reflects YOUR wishes.
To make a planned gift or for more information, contact Carol Lillibridge, email or 650-618-3328.
A Lifetime of Care for Abilities United!
"We feel fortunate to support Abilities United in our wills. It's important to us to help ensure that future generations of neighbors with developmental disabilities will receive the services they need."
Your Endowment Gift Benefits YOU and Abilities United
- Provides a meaningful, lasting gift
- Secures the continuity of Abilities United services
- Reduces your income and estate taxes
To make an Endowment gift, contact Lynda Steele, email or 650-618-3312
All financial and tax decisions should be discussed with your professional advisors. Abilities United keeps all personal donor information confidential.
To make an Endowment gift or for more information, fill out the request card or contact Lynda Steele, email or 650-618-3312.
Corporate and foundation grants provide funding each year to help sustain existing and launch new services or projects. We rely on grants to fund these operational improvements. Generous support from past grantors have made it possible for Abilities United to add and improve services needed by people with developmental disabilities, including the following:
- Renovation of the classroom, bathroom, and accessible playground for Milestones Preschool
- Start-up funds for Community Connections
- Creation of Computer Education services
- Renovation of kitchens for Independent Living Skills training
- Repair of the pool deck, water boilers, and pool surface
- Ongoing support for Employment Services to keep adults employed
- Bilingual staff, family and marriage counselor, and therapists for Children's Development
If you or someone you know is employed by a company that provides corporate support to nonprofits, please contact Lynda Steele, email or 650-618-3312.
Corporate sponsorship of an Abilities United event provides you or your company with widespread visibility in the Bay Area. You become a supporter for the rights of people with developmental and physical disabilities who play, live, and work along side their friends, neighbors, and coworkers throughout the community.
The Abilities United Aquathon in September attracts over 500 corporate employees and Bay Area families who swim and fundraise in support of our services.
The Authors Luncheon in November draws 600 people from the surrounding Palo Alto communities to hear world acclaimed authors speak.
We invite your sponsorship, which gives you a unique way to reach thousands of individuals in the Bay Area while ensuring that people with disabilities have access to the training, education, and support they need to lead the lives they choose.
For more information, contact Lynda Steele, email or 650-618-3312.
A commemorative brick is the perfect gift to honor your loved ones in a very permanent and concrete way! Our Heritage Garden pathway is a living acknowledgment to special people, pets, organizations, and occasions.
Purchase a commemorative brick to:
- Provide a lasting gift for someone you love.
- Honor or memorialize a friend, a mentor, a hero, or teacher.
- Acknowledge and celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, or special occasions.
- Recognize your family, corporation, service group, organization, or school.
This is your opportunity to give a permanent and visible gift to Abilities United. Your donation of $150 will be acknowledged with a brick engraved with the words of your choosing and placed in the Abilities United Heritage Garden at 525 East Charleston Road in Palo Alto.
To order a brick, fill out the order form and return to:
525 East Charleston Road
Palo Alto, CA 94306
For additional information, contact Lynda Steele, email or 650-618-3312.
Do you have a car or truck that you want to sell? Whether your vehicle is in running condition or not, you can donate it to Abilities United. Your donation helps support people with developmental disabilities and is eligible for a tax deduction.All you need is the title and registration. We work with a reputable towing company to pick up and handle all the paperwork.
Make your vehicle donation to Abilities United online through Charitable Auto Resources, Inc. (CARS™) or contact 877-525-4483 (877-525-GIVE) for further information.
To make arrangements for a donation to our wish list or to make other donations of goods or services, contact 650-618-3326 or email.