about aquatic services
Abilities United Aquatic Services offers you:
- The only full-service, public warm water therapy center in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Skilled and educated staff
- Excellent track-record on safety prevention and education
- Crystal clear water, superior sanitation and fully renovated pool facility
- 40 years of service to the public
- Friendly, supportive and welcoming environment
- Indoor 85,000 gallon crystal clear pool
- 93 degree Simens 95z balanced water
- Wheelchair ramp
- ADA approved railings throughout locker-rooms and pool entry points
- Wide pool stairs
- Water walking and gait training space
- Water accessible wheelchairs
- Heated radiant floors throughout
- Eco-efficient low-flickering lights throughout
- Solar window film
- High-texture fiberglass interior pool shell
- Sound barriers and baffles
- Humidity control systems
- Stereo system and speakers in pool room
You may begin by reviewing our Aquatic Services Activities Schedule to see what services and times are best for you.
Our adult self-exercise (Oasis), family open swim recreation (Community Connect), and fitness sessions are drop-in so you may join us at any time. Just come to the Betty Wright Swim Center located at 3864 Middlefield Road in Palo Alto, CA.
Hydrotherapy, physical therapy, and swim lessons require appointments or pre-registration.
Call 650-494-1480 or email to schedule an appointment or register for the swim lesson session.
On your first visit we recommend that you:
- Bring your towel
- Arrive 15 minutes early
- Check with your physician before starting a warm-water exercise program, if you have had surgery within the last six months or recently experienced a health complication.
- Gradually increase your submerge time if you are new to warm water therapy or swim. Begin with 30 minutes to an hour session.
- Drink plenty of water and rest upon returning home.
- Sign in at the front desk before entering the pool or dressing rooms
- Shower with soap and water in the dressing room before entering the pool
- Participants requiring transfer support must be accompanied by a caregiver
- Caregivers must remain on premises during the entire duration of the water-session
- Children 4 years or older must change in same-sex bathrooms or the unisex changing area
- Anyone with incontinence or recently potty-trained must abide by our triple up policy (swim diaper, plastic cover pant plus swim suit/bike jammer)
Our staff undergoes monthly, quarterly and annual trainings to stay current on the latest in aquatic fitness, recreation, and rehabilitation.
Interested in joining us? See our open positions and apply today!
Are you looking for a way to help? We also welcome passionate and committed volunteers to work in the water, in the office, on special projects, or distribute marketing materials in the community. We provide 8 hours of training to our volunteers
To apply, please contact Abilities United at 650-494-0550 or complete and return our volunteer application.
As a leader in aquatic recreation, fitness and rehabilitation, we offer workshops, conferences, trainings and certifications to meet new and current aquatic professionals’ needs:
- Aquatic Hydrotherapy Practitioner Training
- Workshop: Introduction to adapted aquatics
- Offered semi-annually. January and September.
- Conference: One week of briefings and lectures exploring the latest results and findings in adapted aquatics. Offered every August.
- Training: We host in-water trainings led by national and international experts in aquatic therapy. Offered every December.
- Certification: American Red Cross lifeguard training, CPR for the professional rescuer, first aid and coaches safety training highlighting the breath of the aquatic world. Offered quarterly and by special request.
Aquatics Services Annual Report 2010
Keep your child safe in the water (Parenting on the Peninsula, 8/09)
Aquatics Newsletter (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)
connect with us and others