After School Socialization is a socialization training and community-integration service for children and young adults who have a developmental disability, ages 5 through 22 years old. Each day offers the opportunity to learn the daily living skills that help them do better in school, become more independent, socialize with their peers, and transition into community afterschool programs that serve children from all walks of life.
Your child will have the opportunity to develop and maintain friendships outside their family, interact socially with people of all ages and backgrounds, and develop the skills needed for independence and healthy social experiences in the community. The ultimate goal is for your child to transition into an afterschool program within your own neighborhood and participate in activities with peers who do not have a disability. While your child benefits, your family will also benefit with extra hours and energy to devote to your other familial and personal needs, as well as employment.
- PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System) offers a high level of structure to promote stability and predictability in your child’s day so they feel comfortable to focus on their tasks, behaviors, and independent activities.
- Adaptive physical recreation develops motor skills, coordination, and cooperative play. Typical activities, sports and games are modified to encourage participation. Swim and water safety lessons are held at Abilities United Aquatics Services.
- Adaptive cooking lessons teach food preparation using measurement utensils and cooking equipment as well as proper clean up and food storage.
- Art sessions encourage creative expression using various materials including paper, paint, clay, pencils, crayons, chalk, balloons, fabric, etc.
- Reading sessions provide the opportunity for peers to read to the group while others listen so they learn both presentation and concentration skills.
- Sensory activities generate diverse experiences with a variety of textures and smells including play dough, shaving cream, bubbles, etc.
- Community outings provide opportunities to practice their new skills in restaurants, stores, movie theaters, museums, libraries, amusement parks, and malls.
- Call the Afterschool Socialization Manager, 650-618-3351 to request an intake packet
- Complete the intake packet completely!
- Return the intake packet to
Attn: After School Sociailization
525 East Charleston Road
Palo Alto, CA 94306
- Schedule an appointment for a full trial week
For more in formation about After School Socialization, contact:
(650) 618-3351 or email