who we are
Abilities United supports children and adults with disabilities, their families and the community, and champions a culture in which all members of society are included and appreciated for their distinctive contributions.
Each day, every person at Abilities United is dedicated to provide people with developmental and physical disabilities the rights, resources, and opportunities they need to lead the lives they choose. Abilities United champions community values of dignity and respect for people of all abilities. We strive to be a model of how society can be barrier-free to enable the full participation of people with disabilities and their families.
Abilities United ensures that thousands of people with developmental and physical disabilities fully participate in community life. Abilities United provides comprehensive training, education, and support to individuals and their families. But we can’t do this alone; we build strong connections with and among the people we serve, and to community resources, to further enrich their lives with personal, meaningful experiences.
Our ultimate responsibility is to the children, adults and families who use our services. We commit to providing the highest quality services in meeting their needs and choices. As a center of excellence, we will continue to champion their rights; give them the opportunity to participate meaningfully in the community; and in so doing, make decisions with them–not for them.
In recognition of their contributions as our greatest asset, we promise to treat our employees and volunteers with dignity and respect. We recruit, train, and retain the very best employees and volunteers to ensure the highest quality service. They will have an open, rewarding, and safe environment, under the direction of skilled management.
As stewards of this community, we will fulfill our mission. In so doing, we will also provide a model of an inclusive community, valued for our partnerships as well as for our services, both of which promote meaningful engagement of the people we serve.
And lastly, we promise to operate in a manner deserving of the trust of our donors and other funding sources. We will continue to communicate clearly and openly, operate cost effectively, and research and learn from others to provide innovative programs.
Abilities United has been accredited by CARF, a national rehabilitation services accreditation commission, since 1980.
- 2013 Hometown Media Award in the "Access-Able" category
- 2012 SARC "Outstanding Community Service and Support" Service Above Self awarded to Abilities United Art Curator volunteer, Hellen Hsieh
- 2012, 2011 & 2009 Wave Winner for video programming by/for differently abled
- 2012 Palo Alto Community Advisory Committee for Special Education "Every Day Heroes" Sweet Heart award to Amir Badiei, Aquatic Services Instructor
- 2011 SARC "Media Support of the Year" Service Above Self awarded to Andrea Throndson, Community Connections Coordinator
- 2011 Bay Area Parent "Best of the Best" for Peninsula Special Needs Services
- 2011 Marine Science Institute "Robert G. Brownlee Award" to Community Connections volunteers
- 2010 San Andreas Regional Center (SARC) "Service Provider of the Year" Service Above Self award
- 2010 SARC "Support Staff of the Year" Service Above Self awarded to Jill Stanley, Abilities United Job Developer
- 2010 SARC "Outstanding Community Service and Support" Service Above Self awarded to Abilities United Board member Heidi Feldman, M.D.
- 2010 SARC "Consumer of the Year" Service Above Self award to Eriks Ramans, a lifelong participant of Abilities United
- 2009 Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce Tall Tree award for "Outstanding Nonprofit"
- 2008 San Mateo County "People Who Care" award received by Janel Astor, Director of Children's Development
- 2007 San Mateo County "People Who Care" award received by Frank Sandoval, Associate Director of Children's Development
Although Abilities United primarily serves people with developmental disabilities and their families, people without disabilities can benefit from services as well. The table below shows the breadth of our services.
To see our services in action or for more information, please call 650-494-0550